If you want to learn more about USU, have a concern, or an issue at work you should talk to your steward.
What is a shop steward?
Your union shop steward is a co-worker that has been elected by his or her peers to represent them with management and to help enforce the contract. USU stewards serve as department-level organizers and worker representatives to management.
A steward’s duties include:
- Welcoming new employees and explaining what USU is all about
- Explaining the contract
- Addressing co-workers’ concerns and problems
- Representing co-workers during disciplinary actions with management to ensure that the process is fair and the co-workers’ rights are upheld
- Working with management to solve workplace issues
- Informing co-workers about USU news, calls, meetings, elections, etc.
- Advising leadership on how their co-workers feel about certain issues
- Building power in our department by organizing through 1-on-1 conversations!